10 tips from paul fawley
Paul Fawley has travelled the world and shot everything from jewellery to trains (as well as the odd model or two) during his 35 years as a photographer. He also has a passion for finding and developing exciting new talent.
Here our Head of Photography offers his 10 top tips for people considering a career behind the lens.
1. Absorb as much technical information as you can, all artists must understand their tools.
2. Plan ahead and always try to be early.
3. Never turn down a job, no matter how mundane or boring it seems, as it can often lead to more work.
4. Be nice to people on the way up, you never know who you might meet on the way down.
5. Try not to pigeonhole yourself too early on in your career.
6. Don’t work for free if you can help it, it won’t buy you the latest kit. Understand your value.
7. Never assume clients and members of your team know less than you.
8. Don’t waste your time while in education, ask your lecturers questions, work every day, start your career there and sell the images you produce.
9. Look at imagery online, most retail images on there have been shot commercially by paid photographers.
10. Be confident but learn to take criticism.
stay up to date
seventy7 will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.sign up now